This small digital distance sensor detects objects between 2 cm and 10 cm (0.8″ and 4″) away. With its quick response time, small size, and low current draw, this sensor is a good choice for non-contact object detection.
These small and responsive sensors from Sharp are great way to quickly detect the presence of nearby objects
There are a few millimeters of hysteresis around the maximum range threshold and no hysteresis at the minimum range threshold. Note that these sensors will only tell you if there is an object within the detection range along their lines of sight; they will not tell you how far away the object is.
With a detection distances up to 150 mm and a typical sampling rate of almost 400 Hz, these sensors provides attractive alternatives to shorter-range LED-phototransistor reflectance pairs and longer-range but slower sensors such as the Sharp GP2Y0A41SK0F analog distance sensor. The output, Vo, is driven low when the sensor detects an object; otherwise, the output is high.
Please note that this sensor requires external components and has a non-standard 1.5 mm pitch, which can make it difficult to integrate into projects based on a 0.1″ pitch. We offer a carrier board for this sensor that makes it much easier to use by including these required components and providing a 0.1″-pitch, three-pin interface: ground, power, and digital output.
Some example applications include:
- break-beam sensor or photogate alternative
- non-contact bumper or obstacle detector
- a counter or timer of objects as they pass by
- Operating voltage: 2.7 V to 6.2 V
- Average current consumption: 5 mA (typical)
- Distance measuring range
- GP2Y0D805Z0F: 0.5 cm to 5 cm (0.2″ to 2″)
- GP2Y0D810Z0F: 2 cm to 10 cm (0.8″ to 4″)
- GP2Y0D815Z0F: 0.5 cm to 5 cm (0.2″ to 6″)
- Output type: digital signal (low when detecting an object, high otherwise)
- Steady state update period: 2.56 ms typical (3.77 ms max)
- Package size: 13.6 mm × 7 mm × 7.96 mm (0.53″ × 0.27″ × 0.31″)
- Weight: 0.8 g (0.03 oz)
Note: This sensor requires external components, which are not included. Please see the datasheet or our carrier board for Sharp GP2Y0D815Z0F, GP2Y0D810Z0F, and GP2Y0D805Z0F sensors or for details.