One of our star Feathers is the Adafruit HUZZAH32 ESP32 Feather - with the fabulous ESP32 WROOM module on there, it makes quick work of WiFi and Bluetooth projects that take advantage of Espressifs most popular chipset.
Recently Adafruit had to redesign this feather to move from the obsolete CP2104 to the CP2102N and one thing led to another and before you know it they made a completely refreshed design which they have further tweaked to create the Adafruit ESP32 Feather V2 with w.FL Antenna.
This feather is exactly like the Feather ESP32 V2 but instead of a PCB trace antenna, there's a w.FL connector for attaching an external RF adapter or antenna. Perfect for use in enclosures or when you want a boost in gain from a bigger dipole.
Warning! The antenna connection is an MHF3 / IPEX3 / w.FL is not a common u.FL connector.
Check out the WiFi Antenna with w.FL / MHF3 / IPEX3 Connector we carry or the RP-SMA to w.FL / MHF3 / IPEX3 Adapter if you already have an RP-SMA antenna.
The V2 is a significant redesign, enough so we consider it a completely new product. It still features the ESP32 chip but has many upgrades and improvements:
- Compared to the original Feather with 4 MB Flash and no PSRAM, the V2 has 8 MB Flash and 2 MB PSRAM
- Additional user button tactile switch on input pin 38
- Additional NeoPixel mini RGB LED with controllable power pin
- Additional STEMMA QT port for plug and play I2C connections
- USB Type C port instead of Micro B
- Separate controllable 3.3V power supply for STEMMA QT to allow for ultra-low power consumption even with sensors are attached
- Designed for low power usage: verified with a PPK to draw 70uA from the Lipoly battery in deep sleep and 1.2mA in light sleep.
- ESP32 Pico module is much smaller, allowing for clear marking of all breakout pads and additional mounting holes!
- Upgrade the USB to serial converter from CP2104 (2mbps max rate) to CP2102N which can handle 3 mbps
However, in order to add the PSRAM, and use the new Pico module which was small enough to allow all the fun extras, some of the breakout pads have changed, so here's what you need to know:
- The pin numbers for the I2C port (SDA, SCL), hardware UART (RX, TX), and SPI (SCK, MOSI, MISO) have changed. If your code has hardcoded use for those pins, you'll want to replace them either by the new numbers or change the code to use the 'pretty' names like SDA or SCK.
- When selecting the new Feather ESP32 V2 board in the Espressif board support package, the correct numbers will be substituted.
- Note the names are in the same spots, Adafruit haven't changed where the I2C/UART/SPI pins are located on the board, just which ESP32 pin numbers they are connected to in the module.
- The 'corner' pin next to TX has changed from pin 21 to 37. This pin is not used in any FeatherWings because its considered an 'extra pin'. It's also changed from a GPIO to input-only
- The remaining numbered pins and A0-A5 pins have not changed pin numbers.
That module nestled in at the end of this Feather contains a dual-core ESP32 chip, 8 MB of SPI Flash, 2 MB of PSRAM, tuned '50 ohm' w.FL antenna connector, and all the passives you need to take advantage of this powerful new processor. The ESP32 has both WiFi and Bluetooth Classic/LE support. That means it's perfect for just about any wireless or Internet-connected project.
Because it's part of the Feather eco-system, you can take advantage of the 50+ Wings that Adafruit have designed to add all sorts of cool accessories. Plus that built in battery charging and monitoring you know and love with the ESP32 Feather is still there in this upgrade.
- ESP32 Dual core 240MHz Xtensa® processor - the classic dual-core ESP32 you know and love!
- Mini module has FCC/CE certification and comes with 8 MByte of Flash and 2 MByte of PSRAM - you can have huge data buffers
- Power options - USB type C or Lipoly battery
- Built-in battery charging when powered over USB-C
- LiPoly battery monitor with two 200K resistor divider
- Reset and User (I38) buttons to reset board and as a separate input
- High speed upload with auto-reset and serial debug with ultra-reliable CP2102N chipset.
- STEMMA QT connector for I2C devices, with switchable power, so you can go into low power mode.
- Charge/User LEDs + status NeoPixel with pin-controlled power for low power usage
- Low Power friendly! In deep sleep mode we can get down to 80~100uA of current draw from the Lipoly connection. Quiescent current is from the power regulator, ESP32 chip, and Lipoly monitor. Turn off the NeoPixel and external I2C power for the lowest quiescent current draw.
- Works with Arduino or MicroPython
Comes fully assembled and tested, with a USB interface that lets you quickly use it with the Arduino IDE or the low-level ESP32 IDF. Adafruit also toss in some header so you can solder it in and plug into a solderless breadboard. Lipoly battery and USB cable not included (but we do have lots of options in the shop if you'd like!)
- As of July 7, 2022 - This board may come with a different regulator than AP2112K due to parts shortages. The regulator can provide at least 500mA.
- 240 MHz dual core Tensilica LX6 microcontroller with 600 DMIPS
- Integrated 520 KB SRAM
- Integrated 802.11b/g/n HT40 Wi-Fi transceiver, baseband, stack and LWIP
- Integrated dual mode Bluetooth (classic and BLE)
- w.FL antenna connector
- Ultra-low noise analog amplifier
- Hall sensor
- 10x capacitive touch interface
- 32 kHz crystal oscillator
- 3 x UARTs (only two are configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support, one UART is used for bootloading/debug)
- 3 x SPI (only one is configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support)
- 2 x I2C (only one is configured by default in the Feather Arduino IDE support)
- 12 x ADC input channels
- 2 x I2S Audio
- 2 x DAC
- PWM/timer input/output available on every GPIO pin
- OpenOCD debug interface with 32 kB TRAX buffer
- SDIO controller or peripheral 50 MHz
- SD-card interface support
Product Dimensions: 52.0mm x 22.8mm x 7.2mm / 2.0" x 0.9" x 0.3"
Product Weight: 6.0g / 0.2oz
- Satisfaction or refund guarantee
- Worldwide shipping via mail or courier