Introducing BitBot XL, taking the much-loved BitBot to the next level. 4tronix have made several changes, some subtle, some not so subtle, to give a much-improved experience of using and working with the BitBit.
NB. BBC Micro:Bit is NOT included. Please purchase HERE if required
The Microsoft Makecode Extension for Bit:Bot also works for BitBot XL. Go to the Advanced tab or the Tools gear icon and select Extensions, then search for BitBot. It can automatically detect while running which version you have, or you can force it to be the Classic BitBot or the new XL.
- Product Dimensions approx 10% larger in length and width
- Chunky wheels
- Ready - assembled. Battery pack permanently attached
- Motor gearboxes fully covered - minimises fluff in the gears
- Microbit mounted vertically
- Uses standard breakout connector for ultrasonic breakout
- Line sensors no longer share pins with the Microbit buttons - removes all Bluetooth pairing issues and allows use of buttons in your code
- Pen holder is fitted as standard. Mounted directly over the pivot point for better drawing
- Indicator LEDs added for line follower sensors
- 2 GVS outputs provided for potential servo usage with 5V power
- Makecode extension has been changed so code is compatible with both Classic and XL versions
- Buzzer now connected on Pin 0 so you can play music through it
- 2 micro-metal gear motors. Both fully controllable in software, for both speed (0 to 100%) and direction (forward or reverse)
- Wheels with rubber tyres for maximum grip
- Front ball caster
- 12 Smart RGB LEDs in 2 sets of 6 along the arms either side. Select any colour for any pixel, produce stunning lighting effects as your Bit:Bot XL moves around
- 2 digital line following sensors. Code your own line-following robots and race them to see whose code produces the fastest lap time!
- 2 analog light sensors (front left and front right) so your Bit:Bot XL can be programmed to follow a light source such as a torch, or you could code it to go and hide in the darkest place it can find
- Buzzer, so you can make beeping sounds or music whenever you want
- Powered from integrated 3xAA battery holder with on/off switch and blue indicator LED
- Easily plug your BBC micro:bit in and out using the vertical edge connector
- Expansion connections at the front for accessories
- Two GVS connectors with 5V for servos (shared with light sensors)
Optionally, you can add an Ultrasonic Distance Sensor (rangefinder) module, or a Talon grabber (coming soon).
* Microbit, Pen and Ultrasonic not included
See this detailed blog entry for example code snippets and application ideas
Learn here how to control the Bit:Bot with your Bluetooth phone