The introductory toolbox for educators and young makers at home looking for a STEAM solution. Includes a booklet with 11 activities and a poster!
What are Strawbees?
Strawbees is a construction set for you to build things that can stand, move, spin, glide, or even walk across the floor.
Strawbees is a construction set, which means it’s made to build things. It is as a material for people to express, test and share their ideas, developing the necessary skills to think creatively.
The 4 color-coded connectors have respectively 1, 2, 3 and 5 legs. You can fit straws on their legs, slide a straw through the hole or click a leg on a hole. Colour-coded straws are carefully measured and resistant enough to endure daily use.
No additional parts are required. You can build structures, mechanical contraptions, and robotic mechanisms all with these 4 connectors.
The STEAM Starter kit is a personal sized building set with 230 pieces to build several small towers, moving mechanical cranes and arms. The building set comes with 5 different precut straw sizes and 4 color-coded connectors organized in the box.
- Play = Learning – extend learning at home for young makers and build creative thinking skills to invent anything you can imagine.
- Self-Oriented Learning – an introduction for teachers, librarians, and STEM educators to follow along on Strawbees Learning platform and professional development experiences.
- Different lengths & color-coded pieces – there are 4 types of connectors and 5 different cut straw lengths cut all color-coded making it easy to follow the activity instructions.
- All materials are custom-made, durable, and reusable – finish building, disassemble, and begin a new project.
For at home: everything needed to start inventing out of the box to engage learning at home.
For educators: use as a way to build anything from the Strawbees Learning platform or use as a personal kit in a professional training environment.
- Connectors – 1-leg Blue × 37
- Connectors – 2-leg Yellow × 18
- Connectors – 3-leg Green × 25
- Connectors – 5-leg Pink × 13
- Building straws – 240mm Blue × 25
- Building straws – 205mm Green × 12
- Building straws – 112mm Pink× 30
- Building straws – 80mm Orange × 36
- Building straws – 48mm Yellow × 34
- Activity Booklet × 1
- Poster × 1
- Free access to lesson plans at Strawbees Learning
- Build a catapult - Launch a projectile across the room with a Strawbees catapult.
- Make a mechanical arm - Make a collapsible grabber using an accordion linkage.
- Build the Platonic Solids - Build the shapes that have intrigued philosophers, mathematicians and scientists for centuries.
- View more learning material