The SparkFun Notecarrier Cellular Function Board adds a cellular modem to the MicroMod ecosystem using the Notecard - NOTE-NBGL-500 from Blues Wireless.
The Notecard is unique among cellular modules as it has a built-in SIM card and includes a 10-year subscription and 500MB of data included in the price.
The Notecard module also comes with integrated cellular, SIM, onboard GPS, 3-axis accelerometer with an on-chip temperature sensor. On top of that, the Notecard now features outboard device firmware updates (DFU) meaning you can reprogram a connected Processor remotely through Blues' Notehub service! This functionality is limited to specific MicroMod Processors so we highly encourage users to read through the Hookup Guide and documentation from Blues for detailed information on which Processors have this ability and how to perform this type of programming.
This Function Board comes with nearly everything you'll need to integrate the Notecard into a MicroMod assembly. Simply connect an LTE antenna and a GNSS antenna if you wish to use location data to the U.FL connectors on the Notecard and you're ready to start pumping data to a cloud service of your choice.
The Blues documentation is superb and extremely comprehensive. All API calls come with extensive C, Python, and JSON examples. The Function Board lets you choose your preferred method of communication to the Notecard over I2C, UART, or USB and Serial. SparkFun found USB handy for immediate gratification and command debugging using the Notecard CLI.
Blues' cellular service covers over 140 countries with another 33 countries covered with an external SIM card installed in the onboard nano-SIM socket. See the Covered Countries table for more information.
Note: Antennas, MicroMod Processor, and Main Board are not included with this MicroMod Cellular Function Board. A Single Main Board v2.1 or Double v2.2 are required for use. These boards will need to be purchased separately. Please refer to the Hookup Guide for Antenna specifics!
MicroMod is a modular interface ecosystem that connects a microcontroller “processor board” to various “carrier board” peripherals. Utilizing the M.2 standard, the MicroMod standard is designed to easily swap out processors and function boards on the fly. Pair a specialized carrier board for the project you need with your choice of compatible processor!
Notecard NOTE-NBGL-500 Cellular Module
- Integrated GNSS module and 3-axis accelerometer
- Built-in SIM card
- Compatible with over 140 countries cellular networks (signal quality varies)
- 10-year data plan with 500MB (used over the life of the device) included with price of hardware
- u.FL connectors for Cellular and GPS antennas
- Green LED - Modem activity
- Red LED - User activity
Cellular Function Board
- Empty Nano-SIM socket for external SIM card addition
- PTH Header
- AUX Enable
- AUX RX/MCU TX
- AUX TX/MCU RX
- Configurable User Button
- VIO - 3.3V I/O voltage status
- VIN - Notecard power status
- AEN - Auxiliary UART status
- RGB - WS2812 LED connected to Notecard AUX2
- Solder Jumpers
- Connectors and Ports
- 1x M.2 MicroMod connector
- 1x USB Type C - Direct serial interface with the Notecard
Cellular Function Board Resources:
Blues Wireless Resources:
- Notecard NOTE-NBGL-500 Datasheet
- Notecard CLI
- Notehub Walkthrough
- Blues Note Arduino Library
- Blues Note Python Library
SparkFun MicroMod Cellular Function Board - Blues Wireless Notecarrier
Shop with confidence – we've been serving the hobbyist electronics, Maker, and retro gaming communities since 2012.
- Satisfaction or refund guarantee
- Worldwide shipping via mail or courier
- 50,000+ customer reviews
- Secure website and payments