Sharp GP2Y0A02YK0F Analog Distance Sensor 20-150cmby Pololu
The GP2Y0A02 is the longest-range optical distance sensor we carry, featuring a detection range of 8″ to 60″ (20 cm to 150 cm).
The high maximum detection distance makes this sensor a viable alternative to sonar in some applications. The distance is indicated by an analog voltage, making this sensor very easy to use.
The Sharp distance sensors are a popular choice for many projects that require accurate distance measurements. This IR sensor is more economical than sonar rangefinders, yet it provides much better performance than other IR alternatives. Interfacing to most microcontrollers is straightforward: the single analog output can be connected to an analog-to-digital converter for taking distance measurements, or the output can be connected to a comparator for threshold detection. The detection range of this version is approximately 20 cm to 150 cm (8″ to 60″).
- Operating voltage: 4.5 V to 5.5 V
- Average current consumption: 33 mA (note: this sensor draws current in large, short bursts, and the manufacturer recommends putting a 10 µF capacitor or larger across power and ground close to the sensor to stabilize the power supply line)
- Distance measuring range: 20 cm to 150 cm (8″ to 60″)
- Output type: analog voltage
- Output voltage differential over distance range: 2.05 V (typical)
- Update period: 38 ± 10 ms
- Size: 44.5 mm × 18.9 mm × 21.6 mm (1.75″ × 0.75″ × 0.85″)
- Weight: 5 g (0.18 oz)
Linearizing the output
The relationship between the sensor’s output voltage and the inverse of the measured distance is approximately linear over the sensor’s usable range. The GP2Y0A02YK datasheet (703k pdf) contains a plot of analog output voltage as a function of the inverse of distance to a reflective object. You can use this plot to convert the sensor output voltage to an approximate distance by constructing a best-fit line that relates the inverse of the output voltage (V) to distance (cm).
Note: The GP2Y0A02YK0F model is a lead-free, RoHS-compliant version of the Sharp GP2Y0A02 Distance Sensor. The manufacturer recommends you insert a bypass capacitor of 10 µF or more between Vcc and GND near this sensor to stabilize your power supply line.
Sharp GP2Y0A02YK0F Analog Distance Sensor 20-150cm
Shop with confidence – we've been serving the hobbyist electronics, Maker, and retro gaming communities since 2012.
- Satisfaction or refund guarantee
- Worldwide shipping via mail or courier
- 48,000+ customer reviews
- Secure website and payments