Adafruit Ultimate GPS HAT for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi 2/3/Pi 4 - Mini Kitby Adafruit
It's 10PM, do you know where your Raspberry Pi is? If you had this GPS HAT, you would!
This new HAT from Adafruit adds their celebrated Ultimate GPS, so you can add precision time and location to your Raspberry Pi Model Pi 3, Pi Zero, A+, B+, or Pi 2, 3, & 4
Here's the low-down on the GPS module:
- -165 dBm sensitivity, 10 Hz updates, 99 search channels
- GPS + GLONASS support
- Built in Real Time Clock (RTC) - slot in a CR1220 backup battery for 7-years or more of timekeeping even if the Raspberry Pi is off!
- PPS output on fix, by default connected to pin #4
- Internal patch antenna which works quite well when used outdoors + u.FL connector for external active antenna for when used indoors or in locations without a clear sky view
- Fix status LED blinks to let you know when the GPS has determined the current coordinates
Adafruit spun up a HAT based on the Ultimate GPS, added a coin-cell holder for RTC usage, break-outs for all the Raspberry Pi's extra pins, and plenty of prototyping area for adding LEDs, sensors, and more.
Please note, this HAT takes over the Raspberry Pi's hardware UART to send/receive data to and from the GPS module. So, if you need to use the RX/TX pins with a console cable, you cannot also use this HAT. Instead, you'll have to use a composite or HDMI monitor and keyboard to log in, or use ssh to connect over the network to your Pi. Read up on the tutorial for more information on how to use this fine HAT
Please note that as of July 2021, the original module used was discontinued by the vendor. Adafruit found and are using a nearly-identical version of the module - it's a little taller (4mm) but has the same functionality. The commands for querying the antenna have changed slightly so existing projects may need to update their software if doing antenna detection.
Comes as a fully assembled GPS + PCB and an additional 2x20 GPIO header. Some light soldering is required to attach the 2x20 GPIO header to the HAT but it's fast and easy for anyone with a soldering iron and solder. You can also swap the plain female header we have with a 'stacky' type that lets you plug in a hat or GPIO cable on top or a slim ultra-low-profile header.
To make air-shipping eaiser, this HAT does not come with a 12mm coin battery! A CR1220 will let you use the real-time-clock capability of the GPS HAT.
- Dimensions w/ components: 65mm x 56mm x 7mm / 2.6" x 2.2" x 0.3"
- Datasheets, EagleCAD PCB files, and Fritzing object available in the product tutorial
- As of June 21, 2021 - this breakout board now has the PA1616D GPS module. The PA1616D uses IC MT3333 (GPS+GLONASS) instead of the MT3339 (GPS only), so power consumption is higher PA6H, and patch antenna is chonkier from 2.5mm to 4mm.
Adafruit Ultimate GPS HAT for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi 2/3/Pi 4 - Mini Kit
ADA2324Out of stock £25.00
Shop with confidence – we've been serving the hobbyist electronics, Maker, and retro gaming communities since 2012.
- Satisfaction or refund guarantee
- Worldwide shipping via mail or courier
- 49,000+ customer reviews
- Secure website and payments