PyPortal, the easy-to-use IoT device that allows you to create all the things for the “Internet of Things” in minutes.
Make custom touch screen interface GUIs, all open-source, and Python-powered using tinyJSON / APIs to get news, stock, weather, cat photos, and more – all over Wi-Fi with the latest technologies. Create little pocket universes of joy that connect to something good. Rotate it 90 degrees, it’s a web-connected conference badge #badgelife.
The PyPortal uses an ATMEL (Microchip) ATSAMD51J20, and an Espressif ESP32 Wi-Fi coprocessor with TLS/SSL support built-in. PyPortal has a 3.2″ 320 x 240 color TFT with resistive touch screen. PyPortal includes: speaker, light sensor, temperature sensor, NeoPixel, microSD card slot, 8MB flash, plug-in ports for I2C and 2 analog/digital pins, 3D files for custom enclosures / lanyard fastening. Open-source hardware, and Open-Source software, CircuitPython and Arduino. The device shows up as a USB drive and the code (Python) can be edited in any IDE, text editor, etc.
The M4 and ESP32 are a great couple - and each bring their own strengths to this board. The SAMD51 M4 has native USB so it can show up like a disk drive, act as a MIDI or HID keyboard/mouse, and of course bootload and debug over a serial port. It also has DACs, ADC, PWM, and tons of GPIO. Meanwhile, the ESP32 has secure WiFi capabilities, and plenty of Flash and RAM to buffer sockets. By letting the ESP32 focus on the complex TLS/SSL computation and socket buffering, it frees up the SAMD51 to act as the user interface. You get a great programming experience thanks to the native USB with files available for drag-n-drop, and you don't have to spend a ton of processor time and memory to do SSL encryption/decryption and certificate management. It's the best of both worlds!
Note: You may get a version with DigiKey + Analog Devices branding or in plain style but thehardware is identical.
Note: Does not include power supply, cable, or cases/stands pictured!
- Product Dimensions: 88.3mm x 64.3mm x 11.0mm / 3.5" x 2.5" x 0.4"
- Product Weight: 49.4g / 1.7oz
- Primary Guide: Adafruit PyPortal - IoT for CircuitPython - Create all the things for the “Internet of Things” in minutes
- PyPortal IoT Data Logger with Analog Devices ADT7410, Adafruit IO and CircuitPython - Using the Analog Devices ADT7410 and CircuitPython to create an IoT Temperature logger
- PyPortal NASA Image of the Day Viewer - Let NASA do all the work filling your digital PyPortal picture frame with images from space!
- PyPortal Alarm Clock - Wake up on time, see what the weather is, and start your robot coffee maker... all before getting out of bed.
- See all guides
Adafruit PyPortal - CircuitPython Powered Internet Display
You might also need...
Shop with confidence – we've been serving the hobbyist electronics, Maker, and retro gaming communities since 2012.
- Satisfaction or refund guarantee
- Worldwide shipping via mail or courier
- 52,000+ customer reviews
- Secure website and payments