You will squeak with delight when you hold this adorable miniature LED matrix. 0.8" square, it's got everything a big LED matrix has, but bite sized!
64 bright yellow LEDs are contained inside the plastic body, in an 8x8 matrix. There are 16 pins on the side, 8 on each, with 0.1" spacing so you can easily plug it into a breadboard with plenty of space to wire it up.
Since the display is in a grid, you'll need to 1:8 multiplex control it. We suggest either using a 74HC595 and TPIC6B595 (using the 74HC' to control the 8 anodes at once and then using the TPIC' to drive one cathode at a time) or just using a single MAX7219 which will do the multiplexing work for you.
The Arduino playground has a nice set of tutorials introducing the MAX7219 and 8x8 LED matrices.
- Datasheet - We currently have LuckyLight as the supplier for this matrix. Previously we carried BetLux.
- This is a Common Cathode LED Matrix
- Weight: 2.75g
- The Arduino playground has a nice set of tutorials introducing the MAX7219 and 8x8 LED matrices
- Using a high power shift register to drive 8x8 matrices with a NETduino
We no longer stock this product
It's sad to say goodbye but sometimes we have to retire products to make way for new things.
You may still be able to buy this product directly from our friends at Adafruit - check out their website!
Shop with confidence – we've been serving the hobbyist electronics, Maker, and retro gaming communities since 2012.
- Satisfaction or refund guarantee
- Worldwide shipping via mail or courier
- 52,000+ customer reviews
- Secure website and payments