This small digital distance sensor detects objects between 0.5 cm and 5 cm (0.2″ and 2″) away.
With its quick response time, small size, low current draw, and short minimum sensing distance, this sensor is a good choice for non-contact object detection, and its short minimum detection distance lets it see objects very close to the face of the sensor.
There are a few millimeters of hysteresis around the maximum range threshold and no hysteresis at the minimum range threshold. Note that these sensors will only tell you if there is an object within the detection range along their lines of sight; they will not tell you how far away the object is.
Please note that this sensor requires external components and has a non-standard 1.5 mm pitch, which can make it difficult to integrate into projects based on a 0.1″ pitch. We offer a carrier board for this sensor that makes it much easier to use by including these required components and providing a 0.1″-pitch, three-pin interface: ground, power, and digital output.
Some example applications include:
- break-beam sensor or photogate alternative
- non-contact bumper or obstacle detector
- a counter or timer of objects as they pass by
- Operating voltage: 2.7 V to 6.2 V
- Average current consumption: 5 mA (typical)
- Distance measuring range
- GP2Y0D805Z0F: 0.5 cm to 5 cm (0.2″ to 2″)
- GP2Y0D810Z0F: 2 cm to 10 cm (0.8″ to 4″)
- GP2Y0D815Z0F: 0.5 cm to 5 cm (0.2″ to 6″)
- Output type: digital signal (low when detecting an object, high otherwise)
- Steady state update period: 2.56 ms typical (3.77 ms max)
- Package size: 13.6 mm × 7 mm × 7.96 mm (0.53″ × 0.27″ × 0.31″)
- Weight: 0.8 g (0.03 oz)
Note: This sensor requires external components, which are not included. Please see the datasheet or the carrier board for Sharp GP2Y0D815Z0F, GP2Y0D810Z0F, and GP2Y0D805Z0F sensors or for details.