A set of connectors to extend the Raspberry Pi camera cable with a standard HDMI cable.
This is a kit to use a standard HDMI cable between the Raspberry Pi and its camera. The biggest advantages are obviously the range increase, the possibility to use widely available cables, and to use a round and sturdy HDMI cable instead of a flat ribbon. Note that this is just an extension between the camera and the Raspberry Pi. Four additional pins are available, this may become handy to use a few sensors with low current requirement along with your camera. The parts in the kit are shown in the third picture, every board is tested before shipping. This system works with all Raspberry Pi models.
I have tested successfully simple 5 meter HDMI cables, cheap or expensive cables worked the same. The video signal should not show any degradation until a certain distance (yet to be found).Passed the limit the video signal will be lost entirely. I have not tested HDMI boosters or HDMI conversion to CAT6, please report if you do.
Assembly is simple but require precision to place and tighten the small M2 screws (4mm). To reproduce the setup shown on the first picture:
- Assemble the 60mm flat cable between the camera and board, watch carefully the picture for the side of the cable; the connections face away on the extension board and toward the camera.
- Lock the connectors in place, here it helps to have long nails. This is mandatory for a good connection.
- Place the boards back to back, the flat ribbon should form the shape of an "S".
- First with your fingers and maybe tweezers set a screw and spacer loosely. Set another on the opposite side and tighten a bit. Then place the two remaining screws, tighten everything with a small screw driver and a 4mm wrench or a pair of pliers. Et voila you are done!
If after plugging the camera with this kit the Pi does not detect it, you may have bought an HDMI cable without data shield. Please read my blog post that explains an easy fix.
Raspberry Pi Camera HDMI Cable Extension
PES001Out of stock£14.50
Other things that could come in handy!
Black HDMI cable – 1.5m+ £2.90
Shop with confidence – we've been serving the hobbyist electronics, Maker, and retro gaming communities since 2012.
- Satisfaction or refund guarantee
- Worldwide shipping via mail or courier
- 52,000+ customer reviews
- Secure website and payments