This is the lovely little 16 x 3 character LCD we use on Display-O-Tron.
A super-slim alternative to the classic industrial character displays. This model has a transparent display allowing you to add your own back-light if you wish!
- High-contrast LCD display
- 3 x 16 characters (3.6mm character height)
- Just 2mm thick - wow!
- 0.1" pitch through hole - ideal for breadboards/perfboard
- ST7036 controller supporting 4-bit, 8-bit, and SPI interfaces
- Operates from either a 5V or 3V3 power supply
- Eight programmable characters (as well as 242 standard characters)
It supports SPI, 4-bit, and 8-bit addressing (you can talk to it just like a HD44780 display) making it easy to use with many micro-controllers or platforms (such as Raspberry Pi). It supports both 3V3 (though you'll need a couple of 1uF capacitors) and 5V operation.
Please note: If you want to drive this display at 3V3 you will need a couple of 1uF capacitors for the charge pump.
The datasheet contains sample wiring diagrams (see page 4) for all modes of operation - it's actually really darn helpful! View the full datasheet.
You can use this LCD with your Raspberry Pi using our Python ST7036 driver or with an Arduino using the DogLcd library.